Mari from Create Write Now gives MysticMag an exclusive interview. After experiencing a life-altering moment due to Multiple Sclerosis, Mari discovered the healing power of journaling through “Morning Pages.” Now, as an acclaimed author and creator of the Journaling Power Community, she teaches individuals how to use Journaling For The Health Of It® to explore, embody, and express their true selves. Through Journaling Power Sessions and a range of empowering workbooks, she helps others heal, grow, and transform their lives.
What led you to discover journaling as a powerful tool for personal growth and healing and can you share your journey and the specific moments that made you realize its potential?
Twenty-five years ago, I lost feeling and function in the right side of my body due to a Multiple Sclerosis symptom flare-up. The cocktail of BigPharma prescription drugs and specialist visits weren’t helping my health challenges. At all.
I was looking for a method to teach myself how to write with my left hand and a hypnotherapist introduced me to “Morning Pages,” a journaling exercise from Julia Cameron’s book, The Artist’s Way. Morning Pages is a stream-of-conscious writing exercise done first thing in the morning. The idea is to wake up and commit to your journal daily, writing three longhand pages of any thoughts and feelings that come to you. At first, I viewed the exercise as solely physical therapy. But I soon experienced how journaling eased my mental, emotional and spiritual pains too! I realized within several weeks that Journaling was the personal growth tool that I needed to heal my dis-eases and create the life I wanted to live.
During the first month of Morning Pages, I started remembering my childhood: how my grade school nuns made me switch from left-handed to right-handed, how the nuns quashed my dreams of becoming a singer by not welcoming me into The Choraleers, how the nuns chastised me for not being the talented sight-reading piano player that my younger brother was.
My daily Journaling Power Practice showed me how to take responsibility for my health: I’ve been off prescription drugs for almost 20 years, and eat only clean, quality unprocessed meals and snacks (Paleo diet).
Could you explain the concept of “Journaling For The Health Of It®” and how it differs from traditional journaling practices? What makes this approach effective in exploring, embodying, and expressing one’s True Self?
“Journaling For The Health Of It®” is an approach to journal writing that focuses on promoting overall well-being and self-discovery. It goes beyond traditional journaling practices by incorporating specific techniques and prompts designed to foster self-awareness, personal growth, and emotional healing.
Here are some key aspects of “Journaling For The Health Of It®” and how it differs from traditional journaling:
1. Intentional Focus: “Journaling For The Health Of It®” encourages individuals to journal with a purpose and intention. It involves setting specific goals or areas of exploration, such as self-discovery, healing, personal growth, or self-expression. By having a clear focus, individuals can delve deeper into their thoughts, emotions, and experiences.
2. Guided Prompts: Unlike free-form journaling, “Journaling For The Health Of It®” often incorporates guided prompts or questions. These prompts are designed to provoke introspection, encourage self-reflection, and stimulate meaningful insights. They may explore various aspects of life, such as values, beliefs, dreams, fears, relationships, and personal challenges.
3. Emotional Release: This approach recognizes the therapeutic benefits of journaling for emotional release. It encourages individuals to express their emotions honestly and authentically, providing a safe space to process and release any pent-up feelings. By allowing emotions to flow onto the pages, individuals can experience catharsis and gain clarity on their emotional states.
4. Self-Exploration and Self-Acceptance: “Journaling For The Health Of It®” promotes self-exploration and self-acceptance. It encourages individuals to explore their thoughts, desires, strengths, weaknesses, and past experiences without judgment. By cultivating self-compassion and acceptance, individuals can better understand themselves, embrace their authenticity, and work towards personal growth.
5. Integration of Mind, Body, and Spirit: This approach recognizes the interconnectedness of the mind, body, and spirit. It encourages individuals to explore their physical sensations, emotional experiences, and spiritual dimensions through journaling. By integrating these aspects, individuals can gain a holistic understanding of themselves and cultivate a sense of wholeness.
The effectiveness of “Journaling For The Health Of It®” in exploring, embodying, and expressing one’s True Self lies in its intentional focus, guided prompts, emotional release, self-exploration, self-acceptance, and integration of mind, body, and spirit. By engaging in this approach consistently and with dedication, individuals can deepen their self-awareness, enhance their well-being, and nurture a stronger connection to their authentic selves.
As the author of several books on journaling and creator of numerous Journaling Power Workbooks, what key insights or techniques do you emphasize in your teachings?
One of my clients has the best answer to this question: “Mari makes it very clear in her books why it is important to be the hero in your own life story and how to do that. Her books are filled with inspiring prompts on having a positive mindset, creating healthy boundaries, letting go, moving forward and how to care for yourself as deeply as you would care for others. Through the art of journaling Mari leads you to carve out your journey on the road to wellness and how to stay there. I am honoured to have Mari as a colleague in my life and love sharing her books with my clients and friends.” -Jenetta
What role does the CreateWriteNow.com Journaling Power Community play in supporting individuals on their journaling journey?
CreateWriteNow.com which has been in business for 15 years, provides all the resources a Journaling Power Journaler needs to create and maintain a successful Journaling Power Practice: 400+ Journaling Power Prompts, Mari’s Journaling Power Blog, Life Matters Blog, Journaling Power Workbooks Blog, Individual Journaling Power Sessions, and a You Tube Channel of videos, podcasts and courses.
In your experience working with individuals in Journaling Power Sessions, what are some common challenges or barriers that people face when starting or maintaining a journaling practice and how do you guide them to overcome these obstacles and stay committed to their journaling journey?
We were never taught how to do self-development work. And most of us have had at least one writing teacher that did not encourage creative self-expression. In our Journaling Power Sessions, we prioritize current challenges (self-sabotage, inner critics, procrastination, decluttering, health…) and we co-create a Journaling Power Practice that will heal, grow and transform their life.
Everyone’s Journaling Power Journey is unique. I guide and encourage individuals to design the practice that works best for them and to be patient and kind to themselves along the way.
If you would like to find out more about Mari, visit https://www.createwritenow.com/