Reiki is a really important part of how I take care of myself. I usually see a reiki master for treatments every other month. However, the Covid-19 pandemic means more practitioners are taking their practices online. I wanted to find out if distance reiki could be as effective as the in-person sessions I’m used to. Here’s what I discovered.
Distance vs. In-Person Reiki – How It Differs
When I talk about reiki, my family and friends often look at me like I’m speaking another language. So many people have never heard of this ancient Japanese practice! In case you’re new to reiki, let’s start by explaining the basics.
What Is Reiki?
Reiki is a traditional Japanese form of energy healing. Its name is a combination of the words “rei” which means universal, and “ki” which means life force (similar to the better-known Chinese “chi” or “qi”).
In an in-person reiki session, the person receiving treatment lays down in a comfortable and relaxed setting. The healer moves their hands over their patient’s body without actually touching them. Instead of working on their physical body, the healer connects to their energetic life force.
Practitioners believe that blocked energy can stagnate in the body, causing pain and even illness. They use their hands to transfer energy from the universe to the patient and stimulate energy flow through any blocked areas. This can help people feel happy and relaxed, reduce pain and anxiety, and even improve healing from physical wounds or illnesses. Reiki can improve your physical, emotional, and mental wellbeing.
What Is Distance Reiki?
Reiki practitioners use several different symbols to help them connect with the universe and channel its energy for healing. The distance symbol is called Hon Sha Ze Sho Nen. Although it has several meanings, the most popular understanding is, “The divine in me connects with the divine in you.” It is an acknowledgement that everything in the universe is made of energy, and that physical distance cannot stop different energetic forces from meeting.
Reiki healers use this special symbol to connect with people who are not physically present. They may also use a photograph or healing crystal to help them channel reiki to their patient from afar (although many don’t use tangible aids to help them).
People used distance reiki long before Covid. Although highly impactful, reiki isn’t very well known, so there aren’t many reiki practices. Distance reiki meant people who couldn’t go to local practitioners could still access this unique form of energy healing.
Find a Reiki Master on Kasamba
What Happens in a Distance Reiki Session?
There’s no one method for distance reiki, as different healers have different ways of connecting to their patients. Your distance reiki session will also differ based on the area you want to work on, how the energy transfer impacts your body and mind, and whether you’re speaking to your healer through a video call or on the phone.
Here’s how you can prepare for your session and what you might expect to happen:
- Set up a comfortable area where you can relax. As reiki is a type of energy transfer, you can receive it wherever you are and whatever you’re doing. However, if you want to get the most out of your session, it’s worth spending a few minutes setting up an area where you’ll be able to focus on healing. Make sure you have somewhere comfortable to lay down, and add any extra touches that will help you relax like calming music or an aromatherapy burner.
- Check your tech. This may sound obvious, but make sure your phone or laptop is fully charged (or plugged in). Sessions can be quite long, and you don’t want to get cut off or have to get up midway because your device is low on power! You may also prefer earphones to putting your healer on speaker.
- Keep an open mind. It’s easy to be cynical about the benefits of long-distance treatment, but your reiki session will be much more impactful if you approach it with an open mind and heart. It’s for your benefit, so it really pays to leave your doubts behind and try to keep your heart and mind open to healing.
- Explain yourself clearly. This is especially important if you’re speaking to a healer on the phone and not on video chat, as they won’t be able to see you at all. Explain why you need help. If something hurts, let your practitioner know where so they’ll know how to channel energy through your session. If you’re hoping for emotional healing, don’t be afraid to talk through the issues you’re having. Your reiki healer is there to help you, not judge you!
- Expect some down time. At some point during your session, the healer you’re working with will probably tell you to close your eyes and relax so that they can send you reiki from afar. During this time, they will be focusing on you and your energy while you lay in your comfortable setting. They won’t say much, so feel free to use this time to zone out, reflect on what you’re hoping to heal, or simply lay quietly with your feelings and energy.
Are the Effects the Same?
Practitioners who deliver distance reiki sessions are very skilled. They can connect to your energy and send you reiki even when you’re not physically close to each other. They do this by invoking the distance reiki symbol and carefully tuning in to your needs.
If you believe that reiki is universal energy, and that the transfer of energy cannot be limited by physical distance, then you’re likely to seriously benefit from a distance reiki session. You just need to keep an open mind and hold space for reiki to be sent to you.
Bear in mind that if the healer you’re working with uses physical aids to help them connect to you, you may need to send them a photograph before your scheduled session.
Find a Reiki Master on Kasamba
What Can Distance Reiki Be Used for?
Distance reiki can be used for pretty much everything a regular reiki session can provide. You’ll receive powerful energy healing from a highly trained practitioner and enjoy all the same physical, emotional, and mental wellbeing improvements as you’d get from an in-person treatment.
You may even find that you prefer distance reiki sessions. If you feel uncomfortable laying in front of a relative stranger, or don’t enjoy talking about your problems face-to-face, a distance reiki session by phone may help you feel much more relaxed and open.
It’s also convenient for busy people. Instead of clearing time in your day to travel to a clinic or holistic wellness center, you can book appointments that fit in with your schedule and relax in the comfort of your own home. If you’re very germ-conscious, avoiding shared equipment like bedding is a definite plus.
Reiki is a powerful form of energy therapy, and distance reiki can have the same healing effects on the body, mind, and spirit. Practitioners use the distance symbol to reaffirm that everything in the universe is energy so that they can connect to you, even if you’re far away from each other.
While reiki is a form of alternative medicine from Japan, it relies on healers being able to connect to the universe’s energy. Many forms of psychic reading require the same sensitivity to changes in energetic vibrations, so if you’re looking for a distance reiki healer, psychic reading sites are a good place to start.
If you want to get an online reiki session, I recommend Kasamba. If you search for “reiki” in the search tool, you’ll find experienced reiki masters who will be able to help you start healing. They may also have other tools they can use to help you, such as knowledge of other eastern philosophies or astrology.