If you’re interested in card readings but would like to try something other than tarot, have you considered cartomancy?
From the origins of cartomancy to the meanings of every card in the deck, read on to discover everything you need to know before diving in.
If you’re looking for the best sites for cartomancy readings, here are my top recommendations.
The fundamental difference between cartomancy and tarot cards is that cartomancy uses a standard deck of playing cards, with both types of divination dating back to the 15th and 16th centuries in Europe.
Cartomancy was often practiced in the courts as a means of predicting the outcomes of trials. The meanings of each card in the deck are a bit more straightforward and objective than those of a tarot deck. Tarot readers often rely more on intuition and energy, and cards can mean different things depending on which cards are drawn together.Cartomancy is preferred by some people because of its consistency.
How Cartomancy Readings Work
When performing a reading, some readers use the whole 52 card deck, while others use only 32 cards, removing all the 2’s, 3’s, 4’s, 5’s, and 6’s. Cartomancy readings happen in odd number spreads: 1, 3, 9, or even 21 cards. The number of cards pulled for your reading depends on what you’re looking for.
If you’d like an answer to a simple yes or no question, then your reader will probably pull a single card. For a more general reading about your past, present, and future, a three-card spread is typical. And for a more in-depth and detailed analysis of your path or situation, a 9 or 21 card spread is typical.
For spreads where larger numbers of cards are pulled, your reader may place the cards you’ve pulled face up, and before explaining them, will ask you some questions to group them. For example, your reader might ask you to pick which cards you see as representing opportunity, roadblocks, fear, or hope. Once your reader has sorted the cards accordingly, they will then start to explain the meaning of each, and how they relate to the group they’re in.
What Do The Cards Mean?
The four suits each deal with their own theme, and this complete guide explains the meaning behind each card. It’s always helpful to consult with a professional reader who can explain how the cards you’ve drawn relate and connect to one another.
Kasamba is one of the few websites that has an entire category dedicated to cartomancy readings.
Let me take you through the meanings of the different suits.
Spades- challenges, secrets, obstacles, conflicts, and setbacks
- Ace of spades- represents death, but rarely physical death. Rather endings and new beginnings, or an important decision that causes worry and anxiety
- 2 of spades- betrayal, conflict, disagreement, resentment, separation, or bad news
- 3 of spades- deception, lies, dishonesty, cheating, loss, confusion, and misunderstanding
- 4 of spades- sickness, confinement, exhaustion, or an unhealthy situation
- 5 of spades- anger, abandonment, depression, separation, loss, or sorrow
- 6 of spades- completion, permanent ending, moving forward
- 7 of spades- bad luck, loss, unexpected trouble, addiction, a setback
- 8 of spades- anger, disappointment, a wound, or an imbalance
- 9 of spades- failure, sadness, struggle, malice, grief, or serious injury
- 10 of spades- misfortune, tragedy, ruin, darkness
- Jack of spades- usually a young male who is emotionally immature or erratic, and is someone to be wary of
- Queen of spades- a divorced or widowed woman, who is intelligent, ambitious, and can be deceitful or cunning
- King of spades- a man of authority who may be divorced or widowed, is usually older, and can be emotionally controlling or possessive
Clubs- business and social life, luck, accomplishments, and growth
- Ace of clubs- a new business venture, important legal processes, or the signing of a document or contract
- 2 of clubs- a new social or business correspondence, may lead to gossip
- 3 of clubs- advancement or growth opportunities, a partnership involving three people
- 4 of clubs- possible backstabbing from an unexpected place
- 5 of clubs- change in work or social situations, meeting a new friend
- 6 of clubs- improvement or success, progress or completion of a business or social goal
- 7 of clubs- changes in a business or social matter that require attention to detail
- 8 of clubs- potential difficulties in work or career
- 9 of clubs- luck, new opportunities
- 10 of clubs- travel, perhaps relating to business
- Jack of clubs- a sincere and hardworking friend who can be trusted, usually a young male
- Queen of clubs- a woman in business, or a co-worker, a confident woman
- King of clubs- a successful and kind businessman
Hearts- emotions, partnerships, relationships, family matters, and love
- Ace of hearts- happiness, the start of a new relationship, positive energy
- 2 of hearts- love and affection, success in relationships
- 3 of hearts- a new relationship that requires caution
- 4 of hearts- change approaching, the return of an old partner
- 5 of hearts- jealousy or resentment from someone
- 6 of hearts- an unexpected new relationship
- 7 of hearts- a second chance, steady or peaceful surroundings
- 8 of hearts- working together with someone, an unexpected visitor
- 9 of hearts- wishes, desires, or dreams fulfilled
- 10 of hearts- success, fulfillment, and good fortune
- Jack of hearts- a young man who you’re close with, such as a brother, son, or boyfriend
- Queen of hearts- a kind blonde woman, such as a sister, aunt, wife, or mother
- King of hearts- a blonde man in your life who is caring, possibly paternal
Diamonds- money, financial status, success, recognition, and rewards
- Ace of diamonds- a new beginning, a message, a gift, an engagement
- 2 of diamonds- making or receiving payment, disapproval or denial
- 3 of diamonds- poor focus or commitment, instability, legal issues
- 4 of diamonds- gaining financial stability, unexpected gift or payment
- 5 of diamonds- improvement in your personal space, home, or career; positive energy
- 6 of diamonds- poor communication, jealousy, relationship issues
- 7 of diamonds- earned success or financial achievement
- 8 of diamonds- time for planning or caution
- 9 of diamonds- surprise payment, bonus, or compensation
- 10 of diamonds- success and prosperity, good fortune, wealth
- Jack of diamonds- an unreliable person, possibly a family member
- Queen of diamonds- a successful and financially well-off woman
- King of diamonds- an accomplished and wealthy man
Top Sites for Cartomancy Readings
If you want to consult with a live psychic who can perform a cartomancy reading for you, look no further than these 3 sites:
Psychic Source has over 25 psychics who specialize in cartomancy, and with the site’s introductory offer you can get a reading for as little as $1 per minute. Connect with a cartomancy reader over phone, chat, or video if you would prefer a face-to-face experience. There is also a 100% money-back guarantee if you’re not happy with your reading.
Mysticsense is another great option for online cartomancy readings, with over 40 readers to choose from. You can have a reading done via chat, phone, or video, which is a huge plus if you’d like to watch your advisor pull cards for you in real time. You’ll also find Mysticsense’s prices to be incredibly competitive and affordable, with rates starting as low as $1 per minute. New customers also get 5 minutes for free.
Kasamba is one of the most trustworthy and highly rated psychic reading platforms out there. Kasamba has over 35 advisors who specialize in cartomancy, who you can connect to via chat. Kasamba is known for it’s world-class card readers and psychics and new customers can benefit a sizeable discount as well as free minutes.
Cartomancy readings aren’t necessarily more or less accurate than tarot card readings and vice versa. It all depends on your preferences. If you would prefer more straight-forward answers, cartomancy might be a better fit than tarot.