Healing your chakras is usually a complex task that could waste your time and energy if you don’t do it correctly. Living life with blocked chakras means you’ll experience negative effects, such as mental health distress like depression and anxiety, and physical distress like pain or tightness in the body.
Each chakra is responsible for one – or many – different areas of your well-being. By applying the information in this guide, you can unblock chakras on your own to live a healthier life, which benefits your mental, psychical, and spiritual well-being.
But learning to unblock your chakras can be challenging and time-consuming for most people, and it’s not for everyone. If that’s the case, you can always take part in an interactive chakra healing course on Mindvalley to be guided in the right direction and save time.
What is Chakra Healing?
Chakra healing means clearing any energy blockages for energy to flow freely again. It also means determining how (and why) your chakras are blocked so that you can take the right course of action to begin the journey of unblocking them.
In essence, healing your chakras means becoming more spiritual in general. It means taking any issues you’re experiencing in your life that might be tied to your chakras and addressing them individually. While it’s possible to learn chakra healing on your own, you can learn the proper process from an expert chakra healer on Mindvalley, which is more effective and leaves less room for error.
When you heal them, your chakras can be excellent sources of strength and power to overcome personal struggles and adversities. Healing them provides a holistic approach to spiritual and mental healing and better self-awareness. Chakras are responsible for our overall well-being, whether it be spiritual, metaphysical, or even physiological and physical.
In traditional eastern mysticism, it is believed that everyone is interconnected. The more people you help get what they want, the more you will get what you want – and healing your chakras is the gate to this phenomenon. This is because, with energy-balanced chakras, you’re more likely to act in the best interest of others before your own.
Improving your life at someone else’s expense does not lead to a harmonious existence for everyone on earth. It takes something away from someone to give you something. Allowing your chakra energies to flow freely once again will, by default, guide you down a more generous path that has society’s best interest in mind at all times.
How to Tell if Your Chakras are Blocked
Recognizing signs of blocked chakras involves understanding the physical and psychological symptoms. Physical indicators include pain, tiredness, digestive disturbances, joint problems, or issues with your gastrointestinal system, such as constipation. Meanwhile, psychological cues to be aware of include feeling disconnected from others, harboring negative thoughts, having low self-esteem, struggling to achieve goals, and dealing with anxiety and depression.
If you have experienced a general feeling of your energy being disturbed or not exactly right, this could indicate that your chakras are blocked. This might manifest as uncertainty, a lack of direction in life, and confusion about how to achieve a fulfilling, rich, and joyful way of life.
Of course, any of these symptoms could be a real medical emergency, so it’s always advisable to seek professional medical advice first. However, if you’ve already sought medical advice and found no issues, this could be a great opportunity to turn to someone more well-versed in energy healing. For example, you can speak to an experienced advisor on California Psychics for $1 per minute, who can shed light on non-medical issues.
How to Unblock Your Chakras
Unblocking your chakras involves techniques like breathing correctly, burning incense, using essential oils, doing yoga, meditating, and practicing gratitude. Each chakra, however, has a few specific ways that let you unblock it.
1. Muladhara (Root Chakra)
- Location: Abdomen
- Color: Red
- Element: Earth
- Stone: Hematite
- Signs of balance: Constant worries about money, not being able to trust others, binge eating in the face of stress, and unstable family relationships
- Signs of imbalance: Feelings of safety and being grounded in oneself
An imbalanced balance root chakra indicates a lack of proper care of your basic human needs. These usually include a sense of feeling grounded in yourself, emotional stability, healthy family relationships, and overall stability. External examples include food, water, and shelter.
The most common signs of an imbalanced root chakra are stress, anxiety, worry, fear, disconnection from society, and obesity. If your root chakra is balanced, you’ll feel safe, secure, and stable.
Unblocking your root chakra comes down to these three things:
- Positive affirmations. Practicing gratitude and telling yourself that you’re secure, safe, and grounded is one of the best ways to heal and unblock this chakra. It’ll allow you to start on the right foot.
- Aromatherapy. Burning incense and essential oils is another great way to begin unblocking Muladhara.
- Heal from past trauma. When you take the time to heal your past trauma, you’re more likely to heal this chakra and feel more secure and grounded in yourself. You can also join Mindvalley’s practical courses and tutorials on chakra healing.
2. Svadhisthana (Sacral Chakra)
- Location: Lower Abdomen
- Color: Orange
- Element: Water
- Stone: Tiger’s Eye
- Signs of balance: Emotional regulation, high libido, and free creative expression
- Signs of imbalance: Emotional instability, sexual dysfunction, addictions, and compulsive behaviors
If you have an imbalance in your sacral chakra, you might feel unable to express your emotions freely or regulate them entirely. You may also experience low libido, sexual dysfunction, addiction, or impulsive and compulsive behaviors.
Once you heal your sacral chakra, you can restore creative and emotional expression, which can lead to increased libido once again. The sacral chakra is located in the lower abdomen and is the second most important to the root chakra.
Here are three main ways to unblock your sacral chakra:
- Eat healthier foods. Eating a diet rich in whole foods to improve your health is no secret. You can eat whole foods to directly target the healing of your sacral chakra, including nuts, seeds, potatoes, vegetables, and fruits.
- Do fun and creative activities. Tapping into your creative abilities is an excellent way to express your repressed emotions. Any creative pursuit, from drawing to playing an instrument and writing, can help immensely.
- Water. The sacral chakra is deeply connected to water. Drinking more water and rehydrating yourself is the perfect way to heal your sacral chakra.
3. Manipura (Solar Plexus Chakra)
- Color: Yellow
- Element: Fire
- Stone: Amber
- Signs of balance: Being confident, reliable, conscientious, and responsible, and having a life purpose (or several purposes)
- Signs of imbalance: Not fearful, no life purpose or mission, aggression towards others, and a dominating attitude out of fear of not being in control of oneself
The solar plexus chakra is one of the most important chakras. It’s responsible for your confidence, giving you a purpose in life, and bringing out the best in you, like conscientiousness and overall responsibility.
A blocked or imbalanced solar plexus chakra can have many adverse health effects. These include fatigue, overeating, excessive obesity, IBS or IBD (irritable bowel syndrome or disease), ulcers, hypoglycemia, and diabetes. Fortunately, there are several things you can do to unblock it.
Three ways to begin healing and unblocking your solar plexus chakra include:
- Lighting a fire. Since fire is the element of the solar plexus chakra, simply making a fire can be a great way to begin its healing journey. You can also do something as simple as lighting a candle or incense.
- Surround yourself with the color yellow. Another way to begin healing your solar plexus chakra is to be more around its primary color, yellow. You could hang some yellow decor around your house or buy new yellow clothes.
- Yoga. Yoga can help soothe your solar plexus chakra by connecting your body in a spiritual sense. Another benefit of yoga is that it can unblock most, if not all, other chakras.
4. Anahata (Heart Chakra)
- Color: Green
- Element: Air
- Stone: Rose Quartz
- Signs of balance: Being able to give and receive love from others, being able to trust others entirely, and not feeling lonely, socially isolated, or holding grudges
- Signs of imbalance: Feeling lonely, social isolation, holding grudges against those you love, jealousy, fear of intimacy, difficulty trusting others, and defensiveness
Your heart chakra has the powerful ability to help you live a selfless life if it’s unblocked and flowing freely. On the other hand, a blocked heart chakra can make you feel isolated, lonely, and angry at others for no reason, leaving you in a state of distrust.
Living life with your heart chakra unblocked will free you from grudges as you begin to show greater trust and give your fullest self to others. And since you’ll no longer be fearful of intimate relationships, you’ll also feel less jealous,
How to begin healing your heart chakra:
- Heart chakra meditation: Meditating not only heals the heart chakra but all the other ones. However, it’s essential here since it will help you be present in the current moment and allow you to figure out and fix why you might be so negative.
- Green foods. Since the primary color of the heart chakra is green, eating more foods that are green in color can directly affect your heart chakra healing journey.
- Affirmations. Practicing affirmations is a tried-and-tested, age-old process that can help you leave any trauma behind. After all, jealousy, the inability to trust, and anger towards others can be directly caused by past trauma.
5. Vishuddha (Throat Chakra)
- Color: Light Blue/Turquoise
- Element: Sound/Music
- Stone: Aquamarine
- Signs of balance: Being able to express yourself authentically, finding the right words, not being afraid of communicating your thoughts no matter what they might be
- Signs of imbalance: Having a difficult time communicating effectively, lack of words, fear of speaking personal truths, anxiety about communicating, and lack of self-expression and creativity
Unable to express yourself freely is one of the most significant signs of an unbalanced throat chakra. You can find it at the base of your throat. You might notice that you have something to say but that you might be afraid of saying it out of fear it might upset someone.
Healing your throat chakra opens up your communication and allows you to express yourself freely and authentically. This might be in the form of creativity if you’re an artist or performer, or in the sense of communication with your family, friends, or romantic partner.
Here’s how to start healing your throat chakra:
- Surround yourself with the color blue. The primary color of the throat chakra is blue. Making sure you’re incorporating more of this color into your life can significantly heal the throat chakra.
- Neck stretches. The throat is in the neck, which can become tight over time. This is especially true if you sit a lot to do your work. Including some form of neck stretching can help alleviate symptoms of a blocked throat chakra.
- Journaling. Getting your thoughts and feelings down on paper can have tremendous trauma-healing effects. Healing your past trauma can help you communicate more effectively without the fear of being ridiculed. You can master journaling when you take a chakra healing course on Mindvalley.
6. Ajna (Third Eye Chakra)
- Color: Dark Blue/Purple
- Element: Light
- Stone: Amethyst
- Signs of balance: Mental clarity, improved concentration, improved self-expression, strengthened intuition, a sense of bliss, decisiveness, insight
- Signs of imbalance: Feeling confusion, uncertainty, cynicism, lack of purpose, and overall pessimism
The third eye chakra is supposedly located in the center of your head and just above the middle of your eyebrows. Feeling overwhelmed and having difficulty making important decisions can point toward a blocked and impaired third eye chakra. You might also feel uncertainty in your life, lack purpose, and feel overly cynical and pessimistic and that life couldn’t possibly improve for you.
Healing this chakra will improve your mental clarity and decision-making. Plus, it can help you express yourself more freely. All of this can provide better insight as to what you need to do in your life to overcome struggles and challenges.
There are three practical ways you can start healing your third eye chakra:
- Go out into the sun. The element of the third eye chakra is light, so spending more time in the sun can have a tremendous healing effect. You can do this by going for more walks, heading outdoors more frequently, or even having your coffee on the patio instead of indoors at the coffee shop.
- Practice gratitude. Every day you wake up, it’s a great idea to begin jotting down everything you’re grateful for that day, as trivial and insignificant as these items might seem. You’ll notice that you’ll start feeling less confused, pessimistic, and nihilistic.
- Diet supplementation. Vitamin, mineral, and other micronutrient deficiencies can have tremendous consequences on our overall well-being, including the health of our chakras. Supplementing your diet with a good-quality multivitamin and more whole foods is a great way to start.
7. Sahasrara (Crown Chakra)
- Location: Head
- Color: Violet/White
- Element: Divine Consciousness
- Stone: Clear Quartz
- Signs of balance: Being happy, present in the moment, not relying on any outside sources to feel these things, and overall spiritual enlightenment
- Signs of imbalance: Feeling insecure and that your happiness depends heavily on external factors like money, popularity, and reverence, nihilism, existential depression, greed, egoism, narrow-mindedness, and materialism
This is probably the most “lofty” chakra and, arguably, one of the most important as it can have real consequences. Existentialism, nihilism, and “filling your void with external things” are poor ways to live. All of this could point directly towards a blocked crown chakra.
However, healing your crown chakra can have some of the most important and positive benefits in your life. You could feel an increased sense of security, happiness, and presence no matter what’s happening around you and greater spiritual enlightenment. This helps relieves depression, anxiety, and other devastating mental illnesses.
Here are three ways to immediately start healing your crown chakra:
- Read books on presence. I won’t name specifics here, but you can find many books that help you realize higher spiritual enlightenment. A good place to start could be listening to Alan Watts, Eckhart Tolle or reading the Tao Te Ching by Lau Tzu.
- Meditate. Meditation has been practiced for thousands of years by different groups to help them heal their crown chakra. You can get started by downloading the Mindvalley app that guides you through meditation to stay on the right track.
- Go outside. Spending time outdoors, in the sun, near nature, and away from modern life’s hustle and bustle can heal your crown chakra. It’ll help you become more spiritual and leads to more presence and enlightenment.
Lifestyle Tips to Unblock Your Chakra
Certain changes to your lifestyle can help you unblock your chakras for the long term. These usually include physical and spiritual activities, such as therapy, meditating, joining a yoga class, exercising, going outside for walks in the sun, and eating a healthy and nutritious diet.
Lifestyle behaviors that are healthy for your mind, body, and spirit will continue to keep your chakras blocked over time. In addition to healthy eating and exercise, you could join Mindvalley for a guided meditation approach to become more spiritually present.
Remember that if something you’re doing detracts from your well-being in any form, it’s probably reducing your chakra healing abilities. So, it’s essential to be aware of anything that’s not helping or hindering you and try to cut it from your life.
For example, you could consume less alcohol and other mind-altering substances, improve your sleeping patterns, read books that will enhance your life, and eliminate toxic people and relationships.
FAQs on Chakra Healing
What happens during chakra healing?
A chakra healing balances your chakras’ energies and frees you from negative symptoms. It can involve going outside to reconnect with nature, consuming more nutritious foods to heal your body overall, practicing yoga to impact all of your chakras directly, and becoming more spiritual.
The idea is to connect with your spirituality and perform activities leading to a better sense of well-being. You can also do daily affirmations, meditate, and even begin journaling to heal your trauma.
How long does it take for chakra healing to work?
Chakra healing has no definitive start or end date. It’s a lifelong process of not only healing your chakras but keeping them in good health. However, once you embark on your chakra healing journey, you’ll most likely experience results pretty quickly – sometimes as soon as the same day you begin.
It also depends on what type of chakra healing you perform. More lofty things like being more present can take a lot more time, and more immediate activities like meditating, eating healthier, going outside more often, physical exercise, and therapy can have much more immediate positive effects.
What is chakra healing?
Chakra healing means finding energy imbalances by observing negative physical or psychological symptoms. Maybe you have a difficult time in life, or you’re struggling with depression, anxiety, pain, isolation, loneliness, reduced libido, or other symptoms. Chakra healing involves assessing each symptom and using techniques to heal them.
There are plenty of popular techniques, such as meditation, exercise, yoga, stretching, therapy, eating healthier, drinking more water, and becoming more spiritual.
Healing your chakras sounds like a monumental task that can only be attained by the most spiritual people in the world. But this couldn’t be farther from the truth. Though becoming more spiritual in specific ways will certainly help, there are simple things you can do today to start healing your chakras.
You can start by doing things that improve the overall quality of your life, like exercise and meditation, or even yoga. And you can also embark on a journey of healing your trauma through the use of therapy. It’s also possible to begin healing specific chakras by burning incense, incorporating more of each chakra’s unique color, or including more of each chakra’s element into your life.
But if you want practical assistance that comes from experts, then you should use a guided approach to DIY chakra healing through Mindvalley. The site offers tutorials, courses, and reading material to speed up your chakra healing journey, which can help you do it much faster than on your own.